Think about how you want a room to function. Living rooms need a different ambiance from bedrooms, kitchens, and audio-visual areas. Decide on your primary interest:
• You want a view to the outside.
• You need an opaque material for audio-visual or similar rooms.
• You think a bright color is best for a child’s room or the kitchen.
• Or maybe only the material—like a woven wood—is primary
• Some see-through for a view to the outside and protection in the interior
• A great amount of see-through
• Dim-out to eliminate direct sunlight
• Blackout to eliminate all sunlight
• Washability as a feature
• Natural materials
• Colorful, protective edge bindings
• No pattern
• Basket weave
• Twill weave
• Small overall motif
• Large overall motif
• Deep texture
• Flat texture
• Woven wood
• Neutral to blend with all interior-design elements
• Colorful to coordinate with certain interior-design elements
• Dark color to provide more view to the exterior than a light color
• Light color to bring more light into a room